In this episode, we did the math about what happens when you add a missing nuclear weapon together with neo-fascists and an unassuming CIA desk analyst in the Sum of All Fears (2002). How can terrorists get their hands on a plutonium core? Why did Russia allow the United States so many inspections of its nukes? Why won’t America just let Jack Ryan finish writing his memo. Tim Westmyer, Gabe, and special guest Jon Duke (@VortexAeroMedia) answer these questions and more.
Before we nuke more insects to see what happens, we recommend checking out:
- Peter Feaver, Guarding the Guardians: Civilian Control of Nuclear Weapons in the United States, 1992
- Cresson H. Kearney, “Chapter 13: Surviving Without Doctors,” Nuclear War Survival Guide, 1987
- The Fourth Protocol (1987 movie)
- The Evolution of Trust
- Peter Hennessey, The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War, 2002
- War Book (2014 movie)
- The Letter of Last Resort, BBC Radio 4, 2013
Visit the show resources page on our website for more information on the topics discussed on the podcast episode.